Great outage of 1997 - Does anyone recall?

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Sun Feb 22 07:34:53 UTC 2009

On Feb 22, 2009, at 3:11 PM, neal rauhauser wrote:

> Well, I hope I'm not butchering the story up too badly

This has been written up several times before - in addition to the
links in Richard's post, take a look at the following, including the
links at the bottom of the page:

<http://lists.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/pipermail/lore/2006-August/000040.html>

Here's a thorough writeup on the Supro incident:

<http://asert.arbornetworks.com/2009/02/ahh-the-ease-of-introducing-global-routing-instability/

For examples of specific applications of *deliberate* (as opposed to
accidental, like AS7007) route hijacking, see the following:

<https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon-16/dc16-presentations/defcon-16-pilosov-kapela.pdf

<http://www.renesys.com/blog/2009/02/stealing-the-internet-back-1.shtml>

<http://www.renesys.com/tech/presentations/pdf/blackhat-09.pdf>

and then for extra credit, think about this:

<http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-dc-09/Marlinspike/BlackHat-DC-09-Marlinspike-Defeating-SSL.pdf

<https://media.blackhat.com/bh-dc-09/video/Marlinspike/blackhat-dc-09-marlinspike-slide.mov

and this:

<http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/iguide-kaminsky-dns-vuln.html>

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // +852.9133.2844 mobile

   Some things are just too precious to entrust to computers.

		   -- Seth Hanford