Network SLA

david raistrick drais at icantclick.org
Thu Feb 19 17:30:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Saqib Ilyas wrote:

> I am curious to know about any tools/techniques that a service provider uses
> to assess an SLA before signing it. That is to say, how does an
> administrator know if he/she can meet what he is promising.

IME, the administrators don't have anything to do with what is signed.
The "company" chooses what SLAs to sign with customers (typically whatever
the customer requests, possibly with various levels of pricing for
different agreements), but the operational staff are not involved.

If you're lucky, you have this information before you build and can -try-
to build to suite.   But most times, the SLAs are signed after you've
built, and everyone just crosses their fingers.

IME.

..david

---
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html