IPv6 Confusion

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Thu Feb 19 17:18:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Christopher Morrow wrote:

>> That is not what the decision said. The point was that the DHCP WG was not
>> going to decide for you what was necessary or appropriate to carry forward.
>> Rather than add baggage that nobody actually uses, there is nothing until
>> someone says 'I need that'. Never mind that DHCP wasn't defined when the
>> IPng work started, and wasn't in widespread use yet when DHCPv6 was being
>> started ...
>>

> and ipv4 didnt stop evolving when ipv6 started being
> designed/engineered/'architected'. If new use cases, or different
> business cases were evolved in th ev4 world, it seems that those
> should have also trickled back into the v6 work. That does not seem to
> have been the case, multihoming is but one example of this.

Nobody will stop you to go to  RIR and argue for a PI address space for
IPv6. You will be able use PI IPv6 address similarly as you used PI IPv4.

> This doesn't exactly follow for the IETF process, though it really
> ought to for a goodly number of things. If you are using something in
> v4, and it got added via the consensus process in the IETF, it's very
> likely that you will need like functionality in v6. DHCP and
> Multihoming are just 2 simple examples of this. I still can't see how:
> "but v6 has autoconf so you don't need dhcp!" is even attempted as an
> argument after 1996. Surely vendors of networking gear and consumer
> OS's realized before 1996 that things other than 'address and default
> route' are important to end stations?? I know these entities use other
> features in their enterprise networks...

In IPv6 you have additional options next to static and DHCP the
autoconfiguration. Since autoconfiguration was developed earlier this
assumed to be avilable most of the IPv6 implementation. You can argue,
that DHCPv6 client support is vital part of IPv6 node requirements...

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate, Head of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882