IPv6 Confusion

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Feb 19 11:23:05 UTC 2009

Most service providers aren't in the business of maintaining their customer's home network, and if you have to place an ONT/DSL modem/cable modem at the customer premise, most of that gear operates at L2 with little L3 in the way (except perhaps if you place the PPPoA/E functionality on the DSL modem or service-provided broadband router).

Considering that the only real IPv6-ready CPE at your favorite N.A. electronics store is Apple's AirPort, it seems to me that it will be several years before the majority (50% plus 1) of our respective customer bases has IPv6-ready or dual-stack equipment.

Frank