IPv6 Confusion

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Feb 19 07:55:15 UTC 2009

not exactly.  see <http://archive.psg.com/051000.ccr-ivtf.pdf>.

> Yes, there have been attempts to bridge the two camps, but I suspect
> the only way to really address this is a fundamental shift in the way
> the IETF does business, taking into account the fact that network
> operators and end users, by and large, are not the implementors of
> protocols and don't actually care how they are implemented, but rather
> the folks who define what the protocols need to do.  I'll admit some
> skepticism that such a change is actually feasible.

standards bodies used to be composed of users meeting to drive vendors
to common specs so the users had freedom of choice and inter-operation.
the ietf has become vendors inventing new and ever more complex features
to drive users to minimal margins.

randy