IPv6 Confusion

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Feb 18 22:45:13 UTC 2009

David Conrad wrote:
> If a vendor sales person indicates they are getting no requests for
> IPv6 support in their products (which would clearly be false since
> presumably you are requesting IPv6 support),

It's hard to imagine a vendor that is getting _no_ requests for IPv6
support these days; every RFP I see has it listed as an "optional
requirement".

However, development priorities are set not by requests but by the
amount of business they'll lose if they /don't/ do something.  Since
IPv6 is not _mandatory_ to win deals in most cases, it's simply not
getting done.  And, of course, customers can't make it mandatory in an
RFP until at least one vendor has implemented it, or they risk getting
no qualified responses...

I bet the latter is why the US DoD gave up on their hard IPv6
requirements and now simply mandates that products be "software
upgradeable" to support IPv6...