IPv6 Confusion

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Feb 18 01:20:39 UTC 2009

On Feb 17, 2009, at 1:55 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>> (which was never fully
>> thought out -- how does a autoconfig'd device get a DNS name
>> associated with their address in a DNSSEC-signed world again?) and
>> letting network operators use DHCP with IPv6 the way they do with
>> IPv4.
> 	David you know as well as I do that DNSSEC is a orthognal
> 	issue here.

My understanding, which may well be wrong, is that:

- stateless auto-configuration assumes the client will update the
address to name association once it has obtained the address.
- In order to do this, the DNS server needs to support Dynamic DNS.
- If DNSSEC is in use, it requires the use of on-line signing keys.
- Security folks get unhappy when you mention on-line signing keys.

Solution?

- Don't have address to name associations
- Don't worry about (or accept lesser) security on address to name
associations.

Of course the DNSSEC bit is sort of moot, as I suspect there aren't a
whole lot of ISPs in a position to support dynamic updates from
clients...

Regards,
-drc