IPv6 Confusion

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Feb 18 00:42:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:55:30 +1100, Mark Andrews said:
> 	I solve it by give the machine a name.  Adding a KEY record
> 	at that name to the DNS, the private part the machine knows.

I think the issue is that the machine in question may not know its own hostname
to start, much less that dnssec is in use, or that a private key is supposed to
be remembered on the machine.  So there's a bit of a bootstrapping problem
there.

Of course, you can skip over that issue by letting the DHCP server do
the DNS updates as a proxy for the just-DHCP'ed machine, but that has
other issues...

(or just pre-populate the DNS with DHCP-2001-9A98-D247-{5more}.ISP.com and be
done with it like many places do for IPv4)