IPv6 Confusion

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Tue Feb 17 20:45:44 UTC 2009

On 18/02/2009, at 9:32 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

> Here are a couple of implementations of DHCPv6, including one that
> also
> works under Windows. I played with one of them on my Linux boxes a
> while back (I can't remember exactly which one), and it just worked:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/dhcpv6/
>
> http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/

Installable implementations don't really count if this is something my
mother has to use. Perhaps an ISP gives customers a little "enabler"
app to run that installs a DHCPv6 client, but that sounds nasty.
Flashbacks to AOL/compuserve install disks.

SLAAC works out of the box right now for dual-stack hosts (ie. they
can get DNS resolvers on v4).
That is fine for the mean time, if you are planning to go IPv6-only to
end hosts then things are going to get hard, stick with IPv4 NAT for
now until OS X gets DHCPv6, and people have moved off XP and older OS
X boxes.

...or, until we have another way of getting resolvers that has
widespread adoption..

--
Nathan Ward