Linux Router: TCP slow, UDP fast

Allen Smith lazlor at lotaris.org
Sat Feb 14 20:43:15 UTC 2009

If this router is not doing some kind of proxying, tuning tcp related
kernel bits will not impact "long fat pipe" or "long fat network" issues.

The place that needs to be tuned for larger window sizes/scaling is the
web server.

http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/tcptune/#Linux

or search for "Linux TCP tuning" or "large fat pipes"

Also make sure your firewall isn't "helping" you out by "cleaning up"
the TCP SYN/ACK sequence and fiddling with the window scaling stuff.

Also if you have load balancers, they might break this stuff as well.

Good luck,
-Allen