One /22 Two ISP no BGP

Francois Menard francois at menards.ca
Sat Feb 14 14:41:41 UTC 2009

The short story behind this deployment is that Charle's infrastructure
is at the tail end of a submarine cable on an island, where there is
only 1 competitor, but the ILEC, on the island side of the submarine
cable.

The ILEC owns the submarine cable
But the ILEC will not do BGP

The competitor will do BGP
But the the ILEC will not do BGP

Because the ILEC has yet to do BGP with anyone in its serving
territory.  Its a SMALL ILEC which does not have ISP customers wishing
to do BGP elsewhere in its territory.

I have told Charles that should he wish to complain to the regulator,
to force the ILEC to do BGP, then we would help him.

His question is rather - how to do multihoming on the same /22, when
one the two upstream ISPs, will not do BGP.

And the obvious answer is, S.O.L.

The not so obvious answer, is ANYONE OUT THERE knows how to do
multihoming without BGP on one of the two legs...

F.

--
François D. Ménard
francois at menards.ca