Network diagram software

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Wed Feb 11 13:17:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 02:06:09PM +0100, Mathias Wolkert wrote:
> I'd like to know what software people are using to document networks.
> Visio is obvious but feels like a straight jacket to me.
> I liked netviz but it seems owned by CA and unsupported nowadays.
>
> What do you use?

To what end? The visio or 'presentation software' straightjackets
are common for customer-facing presentations.  I strongly advise
automated solutions for real, day to day use.
- dot -> graphviz  (http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0210/ppt/stephen.pdf)
_ tkined
- network-weathermap.com
- ...plenty more I don't have at my fingertips on evdo.

And just use xpaint/gimp for cleaning up images from those for any
internal documentation :-)

Cheers!

Joe
--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE