97.128.0.0/9 allocation to verizon wireless

Martin Hannigan martin at theicelandguy.com
Mon Feb 9 15:40:47 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

> In message <1234128761.17985.352.camel at guardian.inconcepts.net>, Jeff S
> Wheeler
>  writes:
> > On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 14:37 -0800, Aaron Glenn wrote:
> > > NAT? why isn't Verizon 'It's the Network' Wireless using IPv6?
> > > <speaking-from-ass>there should be a FOIA-like method to see large
> > > allocation justifications</ass>
> > Realistically, I suppose Verizon Wireless is big enough to dictate to
> > the manufacturers of handsets and infrastructure, "you must support IPv6
> > by X date or we will no longer buy / sell your product."  I wonder if
> > any wireless carriers are doing this today?
> >
> > What services require an IP, whether they can be supplied via NAT, how
> > soon "smart phone" adoption will bring IP to every handset ... all these
> > are good and valid points.  However, they all distract from the glaring
> > and obvious reality that there is no current explanation for Verizon
> > Wireless needing 27M IPs.
>
>         Well it's a 8M allocation for current population of 2M with
>        a 25M more potential handsets that will be upgraded soon.
>        This looks to be consistent with how ARIN hands out other
>        blocks of address space.

Plus the rest of their space, at least the easily identifiable portions.
It's extremely difficult to speculate what people are doing with large
amounts of addresses. I trust that ARIN has done the right thing in
accordance with community standards. V6 addresses included.

They may want to not recycle that template containing the comment again. It
showed up on the last two allocations.

Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless WIRELESSDATANETWORK
(NET-66-174-0-0-1
<http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=%21%20NET-66-174-0-0-1>)
66.174.0.0 <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=66.174.0.0> -
66.174.255.255 <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=66.174.255.255>

Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless WIRELESSDATANETWORK
(NET-69-82-0-0-1
<http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=%21%20NET-69-82-0-0-1>)
69.82.0.0 <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=69.82.0.0> -
69.83.255.255 <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=69.83.255.255>

Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless WIRELESSDATANETWORK
(NET-69-96-0-0-1
<http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=%21%20NET-69-96-0-0-1>)
69.96.0.0 <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=69.96.0.0> -
69.103.255.255 <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=69.103.255.255>

Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless WIRELESSDATANETWORK
(NET-70-192-0-0-1
<http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=%21%20NET-70-192-0-0-1>)
70.192.0.0 <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=70.192.0.0> -
70.223.255.255 <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=70.223.255.255>

Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless WIRELESSDATANETWORK
(NET6-2001-4888-1
<http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=%21%20NET6-2001-4888-1>)
2001:4888:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000
<http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=2001:4888:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000>
- 2001:4888:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF
<http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=2001:4888:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF>

Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless WIRELESSDATANETWORK
(NET-97-128-0-0-1
<http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=%21%20NET-97-128-0-0-1>)
97.128.0.0 <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=97.128.0.0> -
97.255.255.255 <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=97.255.255.255>

Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless WIRELESSDATANETWORK
(NET-174-192-0-0-1
<http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=%21%20NET-174-192-0-0-1>)
174.192.0.0 <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=174.192.0.0> -
174.255.255.255 <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=174.255.255.255>