v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Mon Feb 9 08:40:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 07:19:37PM -0500, Robert D. Scott wrote:
> Wii should not even consider developing " a cool new protocol for the Wii"
> that is not NAT compliant via V4 or V6. And if they do, we should elect a
> NANOG regular to go "POSTAL" and handle the problem. The solution to many of
> these networking conundrums should rest with the application people, and NOT
> the network people.

You are wrong, there are lots of new ... and not so new ... protocols that
*can* work via ALGs or other NAT traversal systems, but tend to work worse
than if they'd had end to end visibility.  The various VoIP protocols are
the perfect example.

The end to end principal is the lifeblood of innovation on the internet and
we need to do everything we can to allow anyone who wants it to have it.

Kind regards,
Andy Davidson