97.128.0.0/9 allocation to verizon wireless

Jeff S Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Sun Feb 8 21:32:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 14:37 -0800, Aaron Glenn wrote:
> NAT? why isn't Verizon 'It's the Network' Wireless using IPv6?
> <speaking-from-ass>there should be a FOIA-like method to see large
> allocation justifications</ass>
Realistically, I suppose Verizon Wireless is big enough to dictate to
the manufacturers of handsets and infrastructure, "you must support IPv6
by X date or we will no longer buy / sell your product."  I wonder if
any wireless carriers are doing this today?

What services require an IP, whether they can be supplied via NAT, how
soon "smart phone" adoption will bring IP to every handset ... all these
are good and valid points.  However, they all distract from the glaring
and obvious reality that there is no current explanation for Verizon
Wireless needing 27M IPs.

Does ARIN lack sufficient resources to vet jumbo requests?

Did Verizon Wireless benefit from favoritism?

Is Barack Obama concerned that his blackberry will not function if
Verizon one day runs out of v4 addresses for its customers?

- j