97.128.0.0/9 allocation to verizon wireless

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 17:05:50 UTC 2009

Leo Bicknell:

Lastly, you've assumed that only a "smart phone" (not that the term
> is well defined) needs an IP address.  I believe this is wrong.
> There are plenty of simpler phones (e.g. not a PDA, touch screen,
> read your e-mail thing) that can use cellular data to WEP browse,
> or to fetch things like ring tones.  They use an IP on the network.

Alternatively, Verizon is planning to build an all-IP NGN architecture in
the near future, or is at least providing for the possibility of building
one. Mobilkom Austria, for example, has done a deal with Fring to put their
SIP VoIP client on handsets and serve their voice traffic over IP. In that
case, you'd need IP addresses for all the people who use VOICE.

You can do ringtones and the like through USSD...but there's no escape from
voice.