v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space(IPv6-MW)]

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 16:37:22 UTC 2009

>Five things?  Really?  My DHCP server hands out the following things to its
>clients:
>
>Default Route
>DNS Servers
>Log host
>Domain Name (or, our case, the sub-domain for the office) NIS Domain NIS
>Servers NTP Server WINS Servers SMTP Server POP Server NNTP Server Domain
>suffix search orders.
>
>All these useful and handy things that my Windows, Unix (Irix and Solaris),
>Linux, and FreeBSD clients all need some portion of, in one place where I
>configure and control it.

Super, great and wonderful.  Keep doing so.
But I think Iljitsch's point is that I shouldn't have to run DHCPv6 when I
can get everything I need from SLAAC.
In other words, what is wrong with having two complimentary pieces:
	Router:
		Sends out RAs, gets hosts a default gateway ... and maybe a
prefix ... and maybe a DNS server
	DHCPv6:
		Hands out other information (DNS server) and maybe addresses
upon request from host

>Having to deal with configuration and control of this in multiple places is
>only going to make the sysadmins of the world hate you.

Sorry, are your routers not getting any sort of configuration now?
If it is a Cisco box once you give that Ethernet interface an address it
will send out RAs by default, no extra work.
In fact, less work - you don't need to configure your DHCPv6 server with the
default gateway addresses of every subnet.