v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Feb 6 13:38:25 UTC 2009

Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
> My comment was regarding customers believing that they were going to, by
> default, get a statically allocated range, whatever the length.
>
> If most customers get dynamically assigned (via PD or other means) then
> the issue is not a major one.

Dynamic or static; how does this alter the state of the routing table? A
network assigned is a network assigned. In addition, IPv6 has some
decent support for mobile IP, which my limited understanding of says
they enjoy routing tables the rest of us never get to see.

IPv6 is designed to be renumbered. Not all implementations support this
extremely well, but it is there. I believe the mobile technologies
support renumber on the fly better than traditional aggregation networks
who have no expectation of mobility.

Jack