v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Feb 6 00:14:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 06:15:02PM -0500, Ricky Beam wrote:
>> You might like to review the DHCPv6 specification and try some of its
>> implementations.

Joe is being a little overzealous.  Unfortunately, there are very
few DHCPv6 clients in the wild today.  I think this has grown slightly
since the last time I've had good information on it; Windows Vista,
DOCSIS 3.0, Solaris and other platform specific unixes (unsure of all
the right names and versions).  Most free unixes have to be manhandled
to install a client.

The truth is it is actually not very likely that you can build an
IPv6 network today using DHCPv6, unless you have large populations
of those systems.

Most IPv6 deployments today use SLAAC to get an address, and rely upon
DHCPv4 to deliver configuration state (even IETF meetings do this).

Still, it isn't bad to have a DHCPv6 server running to hand out some
IPv6 addresses for configuration state now and again, so Joe is not
entirely wrong.

> I can recall many posts over the years from the IPng WG telling people they
> didn't need DHCP.

There is no need to recall!  Subscribe to any IETF mailing list, and
be assured you will still hear the same thing.