v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Feb 5 23:12:19 UTC 2009

James R. Cutler wrote:
> Actually, lots more than five.  E.g., NTP servers, preferred WINS
> servers (sorry, AD servers) and many other interesting (to some) items.
> And, the DNS domain my laptop joins depends on the network where it is
> connected in accordance with business policies in effect.  Thus, DHCPv6
> is of great interest for portable systems.

Operationally, this has been met from my experience. In fact, all of
these items are handled with stateless DHCPv6 in coordination with
SLAAC. Stateful DHCPv6 seems to be limited with some vendors, but unless
they plan to do proxy-nd, I'm not sure they'll gain much except for end
system compatibility.

Jack