v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

James R. Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Thu Feb 5 23:05:43 UTC 2009

On Feb 5, 2009, at 5:42 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> ...An IPv4 DHCP server gives me five things: ...DNS addresses and a
> domain...

==============

Actually, lots more than five.  E.g., NTP servers, preferred WINS
servers (sorry, AD servers) and many other interesting (to some)
items. And, the DNS domain my laptop joins depends on the network
where it is connected in accordance with business policies in effect.
Thus, DHCPv6 is of great interest for portable systems.

I have previously noted that many clever technicians are well versed
in what we do not need - without considering all the business
management requirements that end user systems must meet. They are all
correct, but not right.

James R. Cutler
james.cutler at consultant.com