v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)] (IPv6-MW)

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Feb 5 15:41:49 UTC 2009

On 5 feb 2009, at 5:29, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> I'm meant to have 250,000 customers running it by Christmas!

So how do you plan on doing that?

We know that IPv6 runs really well over regular ethernet or over
tunnels. It doesn't work so well over the weird crap that broadband
ISPs use which superficially looks like ethernet or PPP but isn't (and
IPv6 over PPP is very problematic).

So basically your choices are giving them real ethernet, a tunnel,
creating a world of hurt for yourself by pretending the broadband crap
is real ethernet or getting a vendor to sell you CPEs that take care
of the difference.