v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Feb 5 15:30:11 UTC 2009

On 5 feb 2009, at 2:20, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> Has anyone out there actually done an implentation, across DSL of
> PD?  If you have PLEASE let me know on list/off list/by dead letter
> drop in a park.  Especially interested in CPE etc.

I've tested this years ago and it works just fine. Of course the Cisco
that could do PD and the Cisco that could do v6 over ADSL were two
different boxes and even one of them costs 5 - 10 x what a regular
user is prepared to spend on their ADSL modem while the cheap boxes
don't do v6 yet and there's tons of details to be worked out before
you can buy a random cable/DSL modem and connect it to a random ISP
and expect it two work. The protocols are there, we just need to agree
on how to use them.