v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 14:34:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 7:41 AM, TJ <trejrco at gmail.com> wrote:
>>It doesn't solve the problem of an enterprise with more than one
>>location/network-interconnect... we can go around this rose bush again and
>>again and again, but honestly, deployment of v6 happens for real when there
>>is a significant business reason to deploy it, and when the real concerns
> of
>>enterprises today are actually addressed.
>
> Indeed, and the IETF's answer for multi-homing (SHIM6) is a non-starter for

to be fair, there are 3 options for multihoming today in v6 (three
sanctioned by the IETF, not ordered in any order, not including
discussion about goodness/badness/oh-god-no-ness of these)
1) multiple addresses on each device, one per provider
2) shim-6
3) HIP (still in development, as I recall)

These don't address how the network is used today, nor customer
requirements for enterprises nor operational concerns about running a
network.

> the majority of those interested in doing so.
> Enter PI space, now available from (most of) your local RIR(s).

sure, you can get PI /48's or up to something >= /40's... but, you are
expected to not deaggregate these, and I suspect there will be issues
when you attempt to do so with reachability.

>        Yes, also enter DFZ growth ...

hurrah! :(

-Chris