v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu Feb 5 06:40:18 UTC 2009

On 4-Feb-2009, at 19:05, Roger Marquis wrote:

> Mark Andrews wrote:
>> 	All IPv6 address assignments are leases.  Whether you get
>> 	the address from a RIR, LIR or ISP.  The lease may not be
>> 	renewed when it next falls due.  You may get assigned a
>> 	different set of addresses at that point.  You should plan
>> 	accordingly.
>
> Exactly the problem,

In the regional ISP I alluded to in my previous message, /56es are
assigned to residential DSL customers and are static (they are handed
out to the LNS from RADIUS).

The link address (IPV6CP + ND/RA) depends on the particular LNS your
PPP session lands on, however.

> and the reason A) IPv6 is not and will not be a viable
> option any time soon (soon being before the publication of an IPv6 NAT
> RFC), and B) why network providers (and other parties who stand to
> gain
> financially) are firmly against IPv6 NAT.

In this case there is no religion for or against NAT inherent in the
v6 access service being provided. Customers can do what they want with
the addresses provided to them.

Joe