v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 06:40:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

>        We already know some will need more than a /48.  /48 was
>        only ever described as meeting the requirements of *most*
>        business and consumers.

so.. what businesses need is not actually 'more than one /48' but
real, useful, doable multihoming. A /48 is fine if you have only one
site, it's been used to solve 2 of 3 problems:

1) my addresses don't have to change (if I only have one site)
2) I can multihome with a single address on my devices/hosts (cause
the original v6 plan for that was just dumb)

It doesn't solve the problem of an enterprise with more than one
location/network-interconnect... we can go around this rose bush again
and again and again, but honestly, deployment of v6 happens for real
when there is a significant business reason to deploy it, and when the
real concerns of enterprises today are actually addressed.

-Chris