v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)] (IPv6-MW)

Mr. James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Thu Feb 5 04:14:44 UTC 2009

 	Hello Matthew ,  See way below ...

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
> Scott Howard wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore
>> <patrick at ianai.net>wrote:
>>
>>   On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft
>> <mmc at internode.com.au>wrote:
>>

>>> but my point was that people are starting to assume that v6 WILL mean
>>> static allocations for all customers.
>>>

>> By design IPv6 should mean _less_ static allocations than IPv4 - in the
>> event that a client disconnects/reconnects and gets a new /64 then their
>> network *should* automatically handle that fact, with all clients
>> automagically renumbering themselves to the new /64, updating DNS, etc.
>> Local communications won't be impacted as they should be using the
>> link-local address.
>>
> _should_
>
> As I asked before - I'm really keen to actually do this stuff - but all I get
> is people who haven't done it telling me theory and not how it works in
> practise in a real ISP of some scale.
> Telling customers "well, you might get renumbered randomly" isn't going to
> work, no matter what the theory about it all is.  They do crazy and
> unexpected things and bleat about it even if you told them not to.  At worse
> they stop paying you and leave!
>
> My hope is that PD will be used for the majority and statics will be small in
> number.  My FEAR is that customers have already been conditioned that v6 will
> mean statics for everyone because v6 has so many! (This has already been the
> assumption many have made from the customer side).
>> The bit that isn't clear at the moment is if (and how well) that will
>> actually work in practice.  And that brings us back to the good old
>> catch-22
>> of ISPs not supporting IPv6 because consumer CPE doesn't support it, and
>> CPE
>> not supporting it because ISP don't...
>>
> Tell me about it.
> As I asked before - has ANYONE done this before?   ie.  fully dualstacked to
> customers?  Or is it still theory?

 	Has Anyone responded to you on/off list with even a close approximation
of showing they have accomplished what you've requested ?
 	I am beginning to be worried that no one [has|is willing to divulge]
that they have accomplished this .  One would think that someone would at least
pipe up just for the bragging factor .

 		Twyl ,  JimL
| James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
| Network&System Engineer | 2133    McCullam Ave |  Give me Linux  |
| babydr at baby-dragons.com | Fairbanks, AK. 99701 |   only  on  AXP |