v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Thu Feb 5 02:22:54 UTC 2009

TJ wrote:
> However, many do not "have" DHCPv6 ... WinXP, MacOS, etc. are not capable.
> Also - does DHCPv6 currently have an option for prefix length?  Just asking.

I'm under no allusion that a /64 is going to be optional - it's really
too late which is sad.  I think people have just latched onto it and now
accept it and defend it without thinking about "is this still the
answer?".   Just because it's in an RFC doesn't mean it's still the
right answer in a changing world.
> WRT /64s (or really, /56s and /48s being assigned to clients) - note that
> these are NOT static assignments permanently belonging to the client.  They
> are hopefully dynamic, hopefully via DHCPv6-PD (hopefully
> available/supported by then) ... similar to the single public IPv4 address
> most of us dynamically get @home today.
Yep - that's what I'm hoping (as I've said and clarified).   But I think
the reality is that in the provider world, no matter what people here
say, customer demand for an unchanging IPv6 range will increase not
decrease - driving up provider routing size and complexity.

--
Matthew Moyle-Croft - Internode/Agile - Networks
Level 4, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia