Database backed DNS Management Solutions

Steven Crandell steven.crandell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 21:36:10 UTC 2009

I'm a long time BIND user and recent convert to PowerDNS.
I considered BIND-DLZ briefly but found that I wasn't excited about the DB
retro-fit on a piece of software that was previously very much meant to live
in the world of flat files.
My initial intent was to try PowerDNS first and then give BIND-DLZ a test
drive also, but I never got around to BIND-DLZ given how well PowerDNS
performed.

My only beef with PDNS is the inability to use master-slave replication to
hosts that are not listed as type NS.
This is by design but it nevertheless got in my way.
I've since just set all domains to use native replication (e.g. db backend
repliciation, Postgres/Slony in this instance) and absolutely could not be
happier with the results.

The amount of time I spend managing DNS has been reduced to almost nothing
given how easily I can script my large operations.
Still it pays to be wise: Use transactions!!

I've also been getting slightly better query response times with PDNS than I
did with BIND for what it's worth.

-s