Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Heather Schiller heather.schiller at verizonbusiness.com
Tue Feb 3 23:14:45 UTC 2009

Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> Owned by an ISP?  It isn't much different than it is now.
>
> As long as you are multi-homed you can get a small allocation (/48), APNIC and ARIN have procedures for this.
>
> Yes, you have to pay for it, but the addresses will be yours, unlike the RFC1918 ranges which is akin to 2.4Ghz wireless.. lets just share and hope we never interconnect/overlap.
>
> I can't find a RFC1918 equivalent for v6 with the exception of 2001:0DB8::/32# which is the ranges that has been assigned for documentation use and is considered to NEVER be routable.  In that /32 are 65536 /48's... way more than the RFC1918 we have now.

  RFC4193 - Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-address-space
FC00::/7              Unique Local Unicast    [RFC4193]

  ..maybe they should have called it RFC1918 for IPv6.

FWIW, 2001:0DB8::/32 was allocated by APNIC.  Not quite the same as
being an RFC/IANA delegated/reserved netblock.

  --heather

  Heather Schiller	Verizon Business
  Customer Security	1.800.900.0241
  IP Address Management	help4u at verizonbusiness.com