Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Tue Feb 3 22:28:29 UTC 2009

And for those kinds of applications, yell at your vendors to come up with a solution.

They say that there is about 2 years of ipv4 left.  Then we’re screwed.  If people sit with their thumbs up their asses now, and are not out planning budgets and migration strategies, they will be caught when they want to do network expansions.

Note… the running out of IPv4 will NOT effect your current operations in any way.  Your providers transit will (or already has) become dual stack, and you will continue to be able to talk to the internet as a whole unless native v6 only content starts to appear, which it will and then problems will appear.

This situation will be able to go on for years without your changing anything….. unless you want these applications to keep communicating with the ever growing internet on ipv6… and if you do, plan for it… decide if you’re going to do it now, in a year, or in 10 years and how you want to look to your shareholders or stakeholders… because eventually, they will ask… they may not want to pay for it just now… but there is a lot of things you can do before you have to start paying real money for things.

-          Getting your assignment/allocation

-          Developing your documentation/plan of how it will be assigned internally

-          Start to identify what parts of your infrastructure will not cope (everyone will need to use NAT-PT internally for some 10 years or more)

-          Start talking to your hardware and software vendors about v6 and understanding their product roadmaps, timelines and so on.

With all this, when it becomes inevitable you won’t have to suddenly do a ton of work…. Or you could buy ‘Migrating my corporate network to IPv6 for Dummies’

…Skeeve