Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Tue Feb 3 17:39:33 UTC 2009

Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>> Except the RIRs won't give you another /48 when you have only used one
>> trillion IP addresses.
>
> Are you sure?  According to ARIN staff, current implementation of policy
> is that all requests are approved since there are no defined criteria
> that would allow them to deny any.  So far, nobody's shown interest in
> plugging that hole in the policy because it'd be a major step forward if
> IPv6 were popular enough for anyone to bother wasting it...

Catch 22?  From my experience IPv6 is unlikely to become popular until it
fully supports NAT.

Much as network providers love the thought of owning all of your address
space, and ARIN of billing for it, and RFCs like 4864 of providing
rhetorical but technically flawed arguments against it, the lack of NAT
only pushes adoption of IPv6 further into the future.

Roger Marquis