Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Feb 2 20:28:33 UTC 2009

Trey Darley wrote:
> Some colleagues and I are running into a bit of a problem. We've been using RFC 1918 Class A space but due to the way subnets have been allocated we are pondering the use of public IP space. As the network in question is strictly closed I don't anticipate any problems with this as the addresses would be unambiguous within our environment. I'm curious if anyone else is doing this.

"Closed" networks nearly always end up getting connected to public
networks, either by intent or by accident.  If you act as if your
network will remain "closed" forever, e.g. by using public addresses
that are (or will be) assigned to someone else, you're going to cause a
lot of headaches for yourself or your replacement down the road, eventually.

Contrary to popular belief, ARIN (and possibly other RIRs) _will_ assign
public IPs for private/closed networks if you can explain why RFC1918
space will not suffice for your needs, e.g. because you are running a
private internetwork between multiple companies and thus NAT/RFC1918 is
simply not viable due to the number of ASes and the difficulty in
avoiding collisions or the sheer number of hosts...