Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Soucy, Ray rays at maine.edu
Mon Feb 2 18:50:20 UTC 2009

> Some colleagues and I are running into a bit of a problem. We've been
> using RFC 1918 Class A space but due to the way subnets have been
> allocated we are pondering the use of public IP space.

What you are suggesting is unacceptable.  You need to allocate your
private space more efficiently.  It should be enough for anyone.

> As the network in
> question is strictly closed I don't anticipate any problems with this
as
> the addresses would be unambiguous within our environment. I'm curious
if
> anyone else is doing this.

No.  Nobody else is doing this.  You should never make use of address
space that has not been assigned to you (either through a regional
authority or an RFC) for use, regardless of how closed you think your
network is.

> I'd be very interested in corresponding off-list with anyone who's in
> similar position.

I think you need to post a new request asking for help on how to
efficiently allocate RFC 1918 space.

>From your website it looks like you're a consultant... If you're acting
as a consultant for someone please do not violate the RFCs, they exist
for a reason.  Ultimately you're creating a nightmare for the person who
comes next and is tasked to clean your mess.