RBN and it's spin-offs

Paul Ferguson fergdawgster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 23:15:12 CST 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 8:36 PM, William Pitcock
> <nenolod at systeminplace.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 23:25 -0500, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>>> indymedia is in texas, no mlat required.
>> It was an MLAT initiated by the Dutch government because someone posted
>> pictures of a Dutch policeman breaking the law that they wanted removed.
>> Yes, the M in MLAT stands for *Mutual*.  As in, it goes both ways.
> The IndyMedia incident illustrates the problem, in my opinion -- going
> after child's play instead of hardcore criminals.
> Que Sera...

I apologize for deviating from the original issue at hand -- which I almost
forgot. :-)

And (I believe) it had something to do with something along  the lines of
(paraphrased) "What are ISPs supposed to do about $WHATEVER activities
within their realm of responsibility?" -- where $WHATEVER could be
spammers, criminal malware purveyors, or something else equally illegal.

I would suggest following the lead of two other ISPs who have found
themselves in similar positions in the past -- Hurricane Electric and GLBX
- -- that, when presented with hard, documented evidence of criminal
activity, disconnected downstream parties for violating their Term of
Service agreements.

You don't always have to have a Fed knocking on your door with a subpoena
to do The Right Thing.

- - ferg

Version: PGP Desktop 9.5.3 (Build 5003)

"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson