Article on spammers and their infrastructure

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Thu Dec 31 04:26:31 UTC 2009

Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> writes:

>> If ARIN and/or RIPE and/or ICANN and/or anyone else were truly
>> interested in making a dent in the problem, then they would have already
>> paid attention to our collective work product.
>
> the rirs, the ietf, the icann, ... each think they are the top of the
> mountain.  we are supposed to come to them and pray.  more likely that
> the itu will come to them and prey.

ARIN (an RIR) does not think in terms of mountains.  the staff and company
does what members and the elected board and elected advisory council ask.
ARIN is a 501(c)(6) and sticks to its knitting, which thus far means no
distinguished role in "spammers and their infrastructure" but that could
change if someone writes a policy proposal which is adopted after the
normal policy development process.

please do consider whether ARIN could help with "spammers and their
infrastructure" and if so, write a policy draft to that effect.  ARIN is
responsive to community input, and has well established and well publicized
mechanisms for receiving and processing community input.  nobody has to
come and pray, but likewise, nobody should expect ARIN to look for mission
creep opportunities.  ARIN will go on doing what the community asks, no
less, no more.  ARIN has no mechanism, as a company, for "[paying]
attention to [your] collective work product".  our members, and the public
at large who participates in ARIN's policy development process, do that.
--
Paul Vixie
Chairman, ARIN BoT