Consumer-grade dual-homed connectivity options?

Dorn Hetzel dhetzel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 19:02:15 UTC 2009

I use a T1/26xx for primary and a sprint datacard in a little NAT router for
secondary.  The two boxes sit on the same LAN but provide different gateway
IP addresses.  The sprint router does the DHCP, so things that ask for DHCP
wind up using that as the primary.  Some boxes use the 26xx as default
gateway with static IP's outside the DHCP range.  A smart enough box could
choose paths per conversation by playing with the next hop.  If that active
path for a box fails I can just change it's default gateway to switch to the
other service.  I have a routable C I use for the LAN, the sprint
connections just NAT's it anyway, the other connection is firewalled but not
NAT'd.  Seems to work ok for me.  Could be made fancier.