BCPs, Exercising emergency process et al

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Dec 25 20:43:23 UTC 2009

On Dec 25, 2009, at 5:44 AM, Vadim Antonov wrote:

> The pre-planned emergency checklists may be a good idea for network
> operators.  Try obvious (when you're calm, that's it) actions first, if
> they fail to help, try to limit damage.  Only then go file the ticket and
> talk to people who can investigate situation in depth and can develop a
> fix.

This is why the US Government runs various events to test their procedures and process, and invites the private sector to participate.

Cyberstorm III planning is underway.  If you want to participate, let me know, I'll connect you with the right groups.  ISP participation would be incredibly valuable, it's not always been there to the point where someone plays the role of the whole Internet.

There are other events, Topoff, NLE, etc that are run at state or regional levels.

As much as everyone here derides the US Gov't, the new cybersecurity wonk, etc.. I would love to see more people engaged in these activities than implying some disconnected group is running things.  They WANT industry to participate, but getting the actual neteng types involved is something they don't know how to reach out to properly.

Lets bridge this gap.

I personally see a LOT of networking and computing failures from lack of employing a BCP in operations.

These events are a chance to test your process and procedures, and quite possibly improve them.

- Jared