IPv6 allocations, deaggregation, etc.

Michael Dillon wavetossed at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 25 00:11:22 UTC 2009

> I can't in good conscience justify a /32.  That is just too much space.

Then you need to go back to IPv6 101.

> I believe I can, however, justify a separate /48 in Europe and APAC with
> my various offices and data centers in that region coming from the /48
> for that region.

A /48 is for a single site. If you are operating a network connecting many
sites, then you are a network operator and should get a /32 block.

Don't try to fit more into a /48 than one single site.

If you need to announce /33 or /34 prefixes to make things work, then
deal with it. Talk to providers and explain what is going on. IPv6 routing
is in its infancy and many people tend to set it up and let it run on
autopilot. There is no law saying that you must announce one and
only one /32 aggregate everywhere.

For real technical solutions to your problem, you are probably better off
going to the IPv6-ops list  Subscription info is here
<http://lists.cluenet.de/mailman/listinfo/ipv6-ops>

--Michael Dillon

--Michael Dillon