IPv6 allocations, deaggregation, etc.

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Thu Dec 24 22:36:38 UTC 2009

The extent to which they are discrete is really more of a function of the partners those networks serve when it comes to the data centers.  While most of our partners are regional, that is more by happenstance than by design and I see it changing over time as more of them operate outside of their "home" region.  I also want to ensure a design that allows us to serve anyone from anywhere which further "fuzzes" how discrete each potentially is.  And this is actually the part where I am having the most trouble sorting the best practice.  There are some advantages to doing it either way.  I could get a /45 to handle everything.  Having a /45 would allow me to aggregate /48s where practical while obtaining individual /48 networks would not guarantee they would be in any sort of contiguous space and not likely allow me to aggregate them even where physically possible to do so.

One possible problem of using a US block globally is that someone might see a source address from me and assume it is originating in the US if they are using some sort of geolocation in order to direct service.  That might cause me to be directed to a sub-optimal service portal depending on who I am communicating with.

Getting blocks from the regions served seems to be the way that will cause less of a problem overall at the cost of ability to aggregate the blocks should the entire network become fully physically integrated at some point in the future.

> I'll also point out another resource for discussing topics like this,
> particularly if it appears that a change in policy would be needed to
> accommodate your needs: ARIN's Public Policy Mailing List (PPML),
> https://www.arin.net/participate/mailing_lists/index.html

Thanks for the pointer, Scott, I will have a look.

George