IPv6 allocations, deaggregation, etc.

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 20:37:13 UTC 2009

On 12/23/2009 12:31 AM, George Bonser wrote:
> Apologies in advance for the top post.

Likewise.  These are general comments, though, so I don't feel too
badly...  :-)

It sounds like you're on the right track.  You discovered the 2009-5
Multiple Discrete Networks draft policy, which should allow you a
separate /48 for each discrete network.  That is somewhat orthogonal to
the question of whether you should get separate resources from each RIR
whose region you operate a network in.  If the networks on different
continents are discrete, I think the answer there is yes.

I'll also point out another resource for discussing topics like this,
particularly if it appears that a change in policy would be needed to
accommodate your needs: ARIN's Public Policy Mailing List (PPML),
https://www.arin.net/participate/mailing_lists/index.html.  That's where
2009-5 came from, and I know there are still some needs unmet by current
ARIN IPv6 address policy, so we're always looking for more good ideas,
and feedback on the ones being discussed.  At the moment, there are some
very interesting discussions ongoing about how to rewrite ARIN IPv6
address policy to simplify it while making provider independent
addressing more widely available and making it easier to filter traffic
engineering deaggregates without accidentally filtering multihomed
networks.  And on the IPv4 side, there are two policy proposals on the
docket to lower ARIN's minimum allocation size to /23 or /24.

I encourage anyone on this list who's interested in these topics to
browse the PPML archives, look over the full list of active draft
policies and policy proposals at https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/,
and subscribe to PPML.  We need all the input we can get.

Thanks,
Scott Leibrand
elected volunteer member of the ARIN Advisory Council, but speaking only
for myself