Revisiting the Aviation Safety vs. Networking discussion

Eddy Martinez eddy at fasteddy.org
Thu Dec 24 18:22:08 UTC 2009

On Dec 24, 2009, at 10:09 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

>> I _do_ create action plans and _do_ quarterback each step and _do_
>> slap down any attempt to deviate.
>
> imagine a network engineering culture where the concept of 'attempt to
> deviate' just does not occur.
>
> randy

=]

The networking group is under control.

Its the software engineers that start making edits to configs and code on the fly, improvisation at its finest. I guess my scope of interaction is greater than just networking. The hard part is that its a peer situation and how do you elevate the members of another team who have a lessor standard of operation. Also, they feel its fine to act like a cowboy and tackle problems on the fly. As long as the product is live before the window close. Then there is the almighty "We can't back out, we already made too many changes" that makes me want to grab rope and attach it to the ceiling.

Have a Merry Christmas,
Eddy