[NANOG] Roport on internet business

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Dec 24 00:22:05 UTC 2009

On Dec 23, 2009, at 6:11 PM, Richard Bennett wrote:

> The authors are pretty well convinced that the demand for more wireless spectrum will be handled by spectral efficiency improvements and deployment of more towers, they stress the importance of replacing copper with fiber and microwave in the middle mile, and don't think the telcos are doing the right things.

I know, watching my local incumbent they are not replacing damaged copper with fiber.  I think they must have warehouses of it someplace.  I can't imagine that it is good to replace buried copper w/copper during the wintertime.  If you're out doing it, might as well *actually* install fiber in the conduit.

(Unless it's about unions/job protection for the copper guys).

- Jared (not saying unions are bad, but when you operate two assets and have a different union for each, it can limit your potential significantly).