Article on spammers and their infrastructure

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 05:48:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
> On 22/12/2009 23:36, Jon Lewis wrote:
>> So, if you're not multihomed with jump.ro as one of your providers, is

'multihomed' here could mean: "we have an IPSEC vpn, we need to use
globally unique ip space, we may have exit points (and have space
routed by other providers from this block), but we'll anchor things
here in your datacenter in elbonia, ok?"

>> it appropriate for them to sell you ASSIGNED PA space which you'll use
>> elsewhere?  I don't think so.

'sell you ASSIGNED PA' or 'Assign to you as a customer ASSIGNED PA' ?

(cause 'selling ip space' is still officially verboten, eh?)

> it is completely inappropriate at many levels - imo.

agreed, it's at least a management headache, and aside from very
obvious large multi-nationals (joel's examples) every time I've seen
it done it was by 'bad actors'... In fact I think I had a conversation
with an install engineer that went something like:
"You really thought ip space assigned to a ukranian company in the
ukraine was 'ok' for you to route to a customer in tampa, fla??"

:(

-chris