FYI, new USG Cybersecurity Coordinator ...

Brandon M. Lapointe brandon at shrader.net
Tue Dec 22 15:44:09 UTC 2009

Personally, I have been seeing much more of a substantive push in this
arena than in times past, owing mostly to the large umbrella of the
Department of Homeland Security. As an example here in Texas -
municipal, county, and some state offices are requiring network
engineers to be licensed SE's (Software Engineers) under the authority
of the Texas Board of Professional Engineers. The language I have seen
in policies published in the last 2 months requires that anyone
programming, configuring, or commissioning routers or other network
hardware that contain internal software systems carry that license.

...it seems that other states are preparing to adopt the SE license
(likely not until the exam is completed) and I wouldn't be surprised if
a "Cybersecurity Coordinator" required such a license Federally.

http://www.tbpe.state.tx.us/swe/main.htm

http://www.todaysengineer.org/2009/Sep/Software-PE.asp

Brandon L.
Technology Systems Director