news from Google

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Tue Dec 22 07:30:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009, Jorge Amodio wrote:

> Another one from the "Evil Doer"
>
> http://www.google.com/advertising/holiday2009/
>
> Wish the guys from Redmond and others copy this action too ...
>
> Cheers
> Jorge

Google makes about $1.5B profit per quarter.  $20M of charity?  I don't
like MS any more than most, but Gates Foundation has received $20B from
Bill and Warren over the past 3 years.  My hat goes off to those guys!

>From a corporate standpoint, comparing to 2006 donations as reviewed by
Businessweek:
http://bwnt.businessweek.com/interactive_reports/philanthropy_corporate/
Google's $20M on $6B profit for 2009 is miniscule and basically just PR
hype.  Wanna compare Bill to Larry & Sergey?  Your comment on "wish
Redmond would copy this action" is libelous and I certainly hope that
major philanthropists do not "copy" Google's joke of a donation.

-Hank

Further references:
http://www.corporatephilanthropy.org/resources/benchmarking-reports/giving-in-numbers.html
http://philanthropy.com/philanthropy50/index.php?view=topdonors&year=2008