Routing to multiple uplinks

rodrick brown rodrick.brown at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 00:46:42 UTC 2009

This may be slightly off topic however I have a very unique situation
where I need to provide two diverse paths to a major stock exchange.
Each host may either use route A or B for any given reason to access
this particular exchange using two distinct routers and target address.

The applicatiOn running on these hosts must only see/use one target
address this needs to be transparent as possible. NIC bonding/teaming
on the host side isn't a viable solution because of the latency
overhead same goes for vrrp/hsrp.

I believe my only option here is to setup multiple default routes with
a preferred path of some sort. This seems to be possible using ip
route2 on Linux.

This just seems wrong on many levels and I thought I would post here
because I know there is something obvious I'm missing.
Please clue me in.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS.