sink.arpa question

Jason Bertoch jason at i6ix.com
Fri Dec 18 18:49:06 UTC 2009

Ted Hardie wrote:

> But I think the key question is actually different.  Look at this
> text in RFC 2821:
>

>    If one or more MX RRs are found for a given
>    name, SMTP systems MUST NOT utilize any A RRs associated with that
>    name unless they are located using the MX RRs; the "implicit MX" rule
>    above applies only if there are no MX records present.  If MX records
>    are present, but none of them are usable, this situation MUST be
>    reported as an error.
>
> If I put in an MX record pointing to a guaranteed non-present
> FQDN, someone complying with that text will throw an error rather than
> keep seeking for an A/AAAA.  Is *that* useful?  If so, then
> sink.arpa/1.0.0.257.in-addr.arpa as an MX record entry may be.

Yes, I understand the RFC.  That section is what allows this topic to be
discussed in the first place.  sink.arpa may very well be the interim
solution, too.  It definitely looks better than "0 .".  It just seems
like an ugly, smelly hack when the fundamental problem lies with
allowing the implicit MX.  It implies that I should, for the benefit of
everyone, create a sink.arpa MX for every A record, where the effort
could be better spent dropping the implicit MX rule and requiring an MX
record for hosts that really do accept mail.

/Jason