sink.arpa question

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Dec 18 17:45:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Jason Bertoch wrote:

> Isn't the fundamental problem that SMTP can fall back to an implicit MX?
> None of these solutions will stop spammers from skipping MX records and
> using direct-to-host connections.

This has nothing to do with spam.

> Shouldn't we just consider dropping the implicit MX back door as opposed
> to getting creative with MX records that spammers will surely note and
> avoid anyway?

It's impossible to make that kind of incompatible change with an installed
base of billions of users. It's already impossible to eliminate the AAAA
fallback and keep the A fallback.

Tony.
GERMAN BIGHT HUMBER: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SQUALLY SHOWERS.
MODERATE OR GOOD.