DNS question, null MX records

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Wed Dec 16 02:18:30 UTC 2009

On 12/15/09 8:06 AM, Andy Davidson wrote:
> Eric J Esslinger wrote:
>> I have a domain that exists solely to cname A records to another domain's websites.
> [...]
>> I found a reference to a null MX proposal, constructed so:
>> example.com    IN    MX 0 .
> [...]
>> Question: Is this a valid dns construct or did the proposal die?
>
> It's "valid", but you will probably find people still try to spam to
> machines on the A records, and all of the other weird and wonderful things
> that spambots try to do to find a path that will deliver mail...

SRV records documented the hostname "." as representing "no service".
However, errors made by non-RFC-compliant clients still generate a fair
amount of root traffic attempting to resolve A records for ".".  The MX
record never defined a hostname "." to mean "no service" so it would be
unwise to expect email clients will interpret this as a special case
meaning "no service" as well.  One might instead consider using:

example.com. 	IN MX 0 192.0.2.0
		IN MX 10 192.0.2.1
		IN MX 90 192.0.2.9

where 192.0.2.0/24 represents a TEST-NET block.

This should ensure traffic will not hit the roots or your servers.
Assuming a sender tries all of MX addresses listed, they may still
attempt to resolve A records for example.com.  This MX approach will
affect those failing to validate email prior to acceptance, and, of
course, spammers.

-Doug